Too many years of loud Rock - n - Roll did their damage. Being 60 something probably didn't help much either. Without the gift of hearing I would have never had heard:
* "I love you."
* The first cry of my new born children
* "I will never forget you."
* O Mio Babbino Caro
* "Thank you, Dad."
* My children's name announced, as they strode across the stage to receive thir diplomas.
* "...and the winner is....."
* My daughter's beautiful cello performances and the applause, as she left the stage.
* "We are going to have a baby."
* Adagio for Strings - Samuel Barber played at my Moms's funeral
* "Hey Dad, you are going to be a Grandfather!"
* "Amazing Grace - Scottish Bagpipers" in honor of my Mom (I still cry every time)
* "I am proud of you."
* My band - Another Day in Paradise /House of the Rising Sun with my daughter singing, my wife on keyboards, me on bass.
* ... and so much more
I finally got hearing aids this past year as a gift to my family, giving me yet another Gratitude - the gift of Silence. When the noise, chatter, and annoying noises of everyday life overwhelm me - unlike others - I can just tune it out by taking them out and instantly enjoy the bliss of solitude.