Friday, September 14, 2012

GRATITUDE - September 14, 2012

I AM GRATEFUL FOR TAKING THE TIME TO RELAX.  

There were an infinite number of years where I was obsessed with the work world, often putting in 10-15 hour days, sometimes six or seven days a week.

I think one of the most feared components of retiring is what will you do when there is nothing to do.  I have overcome that part, as there is only about a couple of hours in each day that is not filled with opportunities for one great project or another...work-out at the gym, ferry my teen daughter to and fro, playing bass...all cool stuff and if I  CHOOSE, I can always add another small project in the mix.

The second challenge is learning how to relax and do NOTHING AT ALL (and not feel guilty).  A type A, driven business guy for many, many years...I am embracing the joy of doing nothing except cater to my own whims (should I rent a movie and open a cold beer on a Wednesday at 1 pm...should I take myself to lunch and go to the movies where the sound is really loud and the screen extra large on a Monday at 11 am  enjoying the matinee AND the senior discount, should I go to the museum on a Tuesday at 10 am when no one else is there, should I turn on all the fountains in the backyard-pour a glass of wine and sit in the shade of the blooming crepe myrtle and watch the hummingbirds, should I plug in-crank up the amp and play rock-n-roll as loud as the windows can stand) oh my...how do I decide?

However, one must be careful with this 'act of doing nothing' as, with all things addictive, moderation is advised. It could become a habit.   My advantage in this endeavor is that I am not plagued with the guilt of unaccomplished dreams and the compulsion to get up and 'go somewhere and do something with my life.'  I did.

My trainer at the gym advises that after a strenuous cycle of exercises, always rest, as that is the period when the muscles grow stronger, not while you are pushing it.  I did the fifty years of strenuous exercises, now I am resting and I feel myself growing stronger every day.

rlw


  -      Robert Welton: Twitter                     
-        Robert Welton: FaceBook 
-        Robert Welton: LinkedIn          

·        My Blogs              
-       http://gratitude-alittlegoesalongway.blogspot.com/          
        Write Your Own Hub

YouTube


No comments:

Post a Comment