Wednesday, October 17, 2012

GRATITUDE - October 17, 2012

I AM GRATEFUL FOR THE TIME & ABILITY TO EXERCISE.

Always 'too busy' to exercise, being retired finally gives me the time to do the right thing for my health.  My life is always overly full of projects and retirement has not slowed that down.  It is, that now, I can include working-out as one of the top activities I do on a regular basis.

My wife often comments that when I decide to do something, I do it beyond 'all the way' and in her view, often to excess.

I generally spend two-three hours at the gym and although spent when done, I feel absolutely fantastic when I leave.

I have two hands, two arms, two legs, two feet and a back that works...essential ingredients in a trip to the gym and for that, I am grateful.  At 65, I feel I am ahead of the curve vs. a lot of folks in my age bracket.  I have been lifting weights, mixed with cardio (bike/treadmill).  Sore as Hell in the beginning, the repetition is changing into visibile results.

My 14 year old daughter tapped me on the stomach the other day and her eyes widened in amazement..."OMG, you have abs! That's just not right!"...ha.  She couldn't wrap her head around her standard picture of flabby, old people.

I am becoming a bit addicted to the endorphin kick.  I have to watch it and not push it too hard.  Today was an example.  I should have knocked off a half-hour earlier than I did.  I am paying the price tonight, but I had a great day.

At the risk of endangering my semi, family-oriended, blog status, I have copied a definition regarding endorphins:

Endorphins ("endogenous morphine") are endogenous opioid peptides that function as neurotransmitters. They are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in vertebrates during exercise, excitement, pain, consumption of spicy food, love and orgasm, and they resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a feeling of well-being.
The term implies a pharmacological activity as opposed to a specific chemical formulation. It consists of two parts: endo- and -orphin; these are short forms of the words endogenous and morphine, intended to mean "a morphine-like substance originating from within the body."

Not the Ironman or Ultimate Fighter I see working out next to me at the gym (much larger weights), but I am much closer to that category than the truely obese members that break a sweat just walking to the hot tub.  That said, I have an admiration for them, as those members are being proactive and doing something about it, vs. hanging on the couch with a bag of chips and a litre of orange drink...that may be how they got there, but they are trying to reverse the curse.

Note:  Before common sense and fiscal restraint kicked in and while I was still on my workout  'high' today, I went to the store after leaving the gym and bought heavier dumbells than the ones I already have. Life is good.

rlw


  -      Robert Welton: Twitter                     

-        Robert Welton: FaceBook 

-        Robert Welton: LinkedIn          

 

·        My Blogs              




-       http://gratitude-alittlegoesalongway.blogspot.com/          


        Write Your Own Hub

 

YouTube


No comments:

Post a Comment