Thursday, January 26, 2012

GRATITUDE - January 26, 2012

I AM GRATEFUL FOR A PATIENT MUSIC TEACHER.


Not wanting to start at the raw beginning and work my way up to Twinkle-Twinkle Little Star when I first started learning how to play the electric bass..I was able to set my own direction and have now learned to play about 20 rock songs with another 10 nearing completion.


I am changing direction next month to restart my lessons from the beginning - learning how to read music...so much out there to learn and I can pick everything up much faster if I learned this new foreign language.


Listening to people that know how to read music is like listening to ancient Greek to me and it has become obvious that  although it may sound like I can 'talk the talk' when I play the songs I know - 'I can't walk the walk'.  Memorizing my music will help keep the Alzheimer dogs at bay but would be better if I knew what I was talking about.


I am very lucky to have a skilled teacher that played for 30 years in rock bands before getting his BA degree/with honors in Music from Sacramento State.  Very patient.  I am thankful to discover him and that he didn't make me play 'Twinkle Twinkle' before 'Smoke on the Water'.


rlw



No comments:

Post a Comment